The Washington Way
Based in south-western Pennsylvania, we’ve served the industry since we recognized the critical need for a compact, easy-to-service rotating control device dating back to 1973. Since then, we’ve been striving to design and build the most durable, most dependable rotating control devices on the market. Today, energy companies and drilling contractors who use Washington Rotating equipment experience less downtime. They rely on us to help keep their operations clean, safe, and environmentally responsible, because they know our technology efficiently channels hazardous gas, steam, cuttings, and drilling fluid away from the rig and personnel.
Why choose Washington Rotating?
- We manufacture a full range of diverters, including tubing heads, rotating control devices, non-rotating diverters, weld-on diverters, and more.
- We patented an innovative line of pneumatic diverters specifically designed for water well, mining, and exploratory drilling.
- We specialize in customizing our products to meet our customers’ specifications.
- Our well-stocked inventory and responsive service team are geared to get your rig back up and running in record time.
- We are able to rent our product within the Marcellus and Utica shale plays through our rental division, Arch Rental.
Missions and Vision
We enable drillers globally to operate with greater safety, economy and dependability. We create value by continuously improving our technologies, our processes, our products, our services, our business practices, and ourselves.
- To be a leader in the global market, with an ever-expanding product base that anticipates our customers’ needs.
- To manufacture the highest quality rotating control devices in the industry.
- To be an environmentally responsible enterprise.
- To be a respected business that cares for our employees and supports our community
It all started with a downtime situation.
One hot summer day in 1976, a driller brought a seized-up rotating control head to Bob Johnston’s machine shop in Washington, Pa. It seemed that the control heads that the driller had been using couldn’t take more than a week on the job before they needed to be rebuilt. Swapping them out meant lost time — and lost revenue. Bob and his machinists looked the head over. They told the driller they had a few ideas that just might solve his problem. A week later, the driller came back and Bob showed him a whole new idea in rotating control heads. Instead of the old roller bearings, this one had thrust bearings. It had better lubrication seals, and a commercial oil-metering valve. “As long as you keep the oil line hooked up,” Bob said, “I guarantee you’ll get at least a month out of it.” That head didn’t run for a month. It ran for four.
Good news travels fast in the pipeline. And soon, Bob was making control heads and diverters for drilling contractors all up and down the Appalachian region. That was the beginning of Washington Rotating Control Heads, Inc.
Later, Bob turned the business over to his children, and his son, Vaughn, put all of his energy into building reliable, compact, easy-to-service devices for keeping work environments safe, as well as expanding the product line. Today, we’re a leading manufacturer of rotating control heads and diverters for oil, gas, and geothermal drilling.
We’ve grown, but we’re still family-run and family-owned. Our original customers — and hundreds of new ones, across the U.S.A. and around the world — keep coming back, because they know we won’t settle for anything less than long-lasting performance, unbeatable service, and cost-effective custom solutions.